A Step-by-Step Guide To Completing Form I-129F, Petition For Alien Fiancée

What is Form I-129F?

Form I-129F, also known as the “Petition for Alien Fiancé(e),” is a form used by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the purpose of bringing a foreign national fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen to the United States for the purpose of getting married. This form is part of the K-1 visa process, which is specifically designed for foreign nationals who are engaged to U.S. citizens and wish to enter the U.S. in order to marry their U.S. citizen partner.

The K-1 visa allows the foreign fiancé(e) to enter the U.S. for a 90-day period during which the couple is expected to get married. After the marriage takes place, the foreign fiancé(e) can apply for adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) of the U.S.

Form I-129F is submitted by the U.S. citizen petitioner to initiate the process. It requires providing information about both the U.S. citizen petitioner and the foreign national fiancé(e), including personal details, information about the relationship, and supporting documentation. The form is meant to establish the authenticity of the relationship and demonstrate that the couple intends to get married within the required timeframe.

It’s important to note that immigration processes and forms can change over time, so it’s recommended to refer to the official USCIS website or consult with legal professionals for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding Form I-129F and the K-1 visa process.

Who can file Form I-129F?

Form I-129F, the “Petition for Alien Fiancé(e),” can be filed by a U.S. citizen who intends to bring their foreign national fiancé(e) to the United States for the purpose of getting married. In order to be eligible to file Form I-129F, the following conditions must generally be met:

  • S. Citizenship: The petitioner (the person filing the form) must be a U.S. citizen. Lawful permanent residents (green card holders) are not eligible to file this form for their fiancé(e); only U.S. citizens can do so.
  • Intent to Marry: The petitioner and the foreign national fiancé(e) must have a genuine intention to marry each other within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States on a K-1 visa.
  • Meet in Person: The petitioner and the fiancé(e) must have met in person at least once within the two years preceding the filing of the petition, unless meeting in person would violate cultural or social customs, or if it would create extreme hardship for the petitioner.
  • Legal Capacity: Both the petitioner and the fiancé(e) must have the legal capacity to marry each other. This means they must be eligible to marry according to the laws of the petitioner’s U.S. state or jurisdiction.
  • No Prohibited Relationships: The petitioner and the fiancé(e) must not be closely related by blood, meaning they cannot be immediate family members.
  • No Prior Violations: The petitioner and the fiancé(e) should not have a history of violating U.S. immigration laws or engaging in fraudulent activities related to immigration matters.

It’s important to note that while these are the general eligibility requirements, specific circumstances and exceptions can apply. As immigration laws and policies can change over time, it’s recommended to review the most up-to-date information on the official USCIS website or consult with legal professionals before submitting Form I-129F.

What documents must be submitted with Form I-129F?

When submitting Form I-129F, the “Petition for Alien Fiancé(e),” you will need to include various supporting documents to establish the authenticity of your relationship and demonstrate that you meet the eligibility criteria. The specific documents required can vary based on individual circumstances, but here are some common documents that are typically included with the petition:

  • Evidence of Relationship:
    • Copies of photographs showing you and your fiancé(e) together.
    • Copies of travel itineraries or boarding passes from trips you’ve taken together.
    • Copies of communication records (emails, chat logs, letters, etc.) that demonstrate the ongoing relationship.
  • Proof of In-Person Meeting:
    • Copies of airline tickets, passport stamps, or other documentation showing that you have met in person within the last two years.
    • An affidavit explaining any circumstances that prevented an in-person meeting.
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship:
    • Copy of your U.S. birth certificate, passport, or naturalization certificate to prove your citizenship.
  • Biographical Information:
    • Completed and signed Form G-325A for both you and your fiancé(e). Note that as of September 11, 2018, Form G-325A is no longer required. Instead, biographical information is included in Form I-129F.
  • Divorce or Death Certificates (if applicable):
    • If either you or your fiancé(e) were previously married, provide divorce decrees or death certificates to establish your current marital status.
  • Intent to Marry:
    • Statements from both you and your fiancé(e) affirming your intention to marry each other within 90 days of their arrival in the U.S.
  • Supporting Affidavits:
    • Statements from friends and family attesting to the genuineness of your relationship.
  • Financial Documentation:
    • Evidence of your financial ability to support your fiancé(e) in the U.S., such as pay stubs, employment verification letters, or tax documents.
  • Passport Photos:
    • Passport-style photos of you (petitioner) and your fiancé(e) that meet USCIS specifications.
  • Filing Fee:
    • Check or money order for the required filing fee. Check the USCIS website for the most up-to-date fee information.

Remember that USCIS may request additional evidence or documentation if they need more information to evaluate your case. Always consult the official USCIS website or consult with legal professionals for the most current and accurate information on required documents and filing procedures.

What are the filing fees for Form I-129F?

Filing fees for USCIS forms, including Form I-129F, can change over time due to adjustments made by the agency. The filing fee for Form I-129F was $535. However, please note that these fees can change, and it’s important to check the official USCIS website or consult with legal professionals for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding filing fees.

Additionally, there may be additional fees for related processes, such as the visa application fee at the U.S. embassy or consulate, medical examination fees, and adjustment of status fees if the fiancé(e) enters the U.S. on a K-1 visa and later applies for lawful permanent resident status. Make sure to account for all potential fees when preparing your application and budgeting for the immigration process thebirdsworld.

How long does it take to get Form I-129F approved?

The processing time for Form I-129F, the “Petition for Alien Fiancé(e),” can vary depending on several factors, including the workload at the USCIS service center where the petition is filed, the accuracy and completeness of the submitted documentation, and any specific circumstances that might affect the case. USCIS provided estimated processing times on their website for various types of applications, including Form I-129F.

At that time, USCIS estimated that the processing time for Form I-129F was around 6 to 9 months from the date of submission. However, please keep in mind that these processing times are subject to change, and actual processing times can vary.

To get the most accurate and up-to-date information on processing times for Form I-129F, I recommend visiting the USCIS website’s “Check Case Processing Times” page or contacting USCIS directly. Additionally, some applicants choose to track their case using the USCIS online case status tool or by calling the USCIS Contact Center for updates on their specific petition’s progress infosportsworld.



Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button