Have you considered to move to Canada from UK since the UK voted to leave the European Union? Well, don’t worry, you’re not alone! Many people are curious about it. No matter what industry you work in, if you’re wondering how to move to Canada from UK or transition to permanent residency after obtaining a temporary work permit, I’m here to help you.
Exploring Temporary Work Permits: IEC Program
One of the most accessible paths to work in Canada for UK citizens under 30 is through the International Experience Canada (IEC) program. This program offers a straightforward way to secure a Canadian work permit. Here’s a simplified breakdown:
- Eligibility: British citizens aged 18 to 30 can apply for this program.
- Application Process: Those who meet the criteria can express interest in receiving a work permit. If selected, you have ten days to initiate your application and 20 days to complete it.
The IEC program is popular among UK citizens for easy and flexible visa experience in Canada for up to two years. However, the program is highly competitive, and demand often exceeds supply, disappointing some applicants.
Alternative Temporary Work Permits
If the IEC program isn’t a good fit for you, there are other temporary work permit options:
- Intra-Company Transfer: You can transfer there if your current employer has a Canadian office.
- Canada-UK Trade Continuity Agreement: This agreement offers opportunities in specific industries.
- Global Talent Stream: A fast-track work permit for individuals in certain professions, particularly in the tech sector.
Pursuing Permanent Residence
For those looking for a long-term solution to move to Canada from UK, consider permanent residency:
- Express Entry System: This is the primary route for permanent residency through federal economic programs. It includes the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class, and the Federal Skilled Trades Class. You must accumulate at least 67 points based on age, work experience, language proficiency, and education to qualify. The higher your score, the better your chances of being invited to apply for permanent residence.
- Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs): Canadian provinces can nominate candidates from the Express Entry pool. If you have a provincial nomination, you receive 600 extra points, significantly improving your chances of being invited to immigrate to Canada.
Additional Options For Moving To Canada From The UK
If neither the IEC program nor Express Entry fits your situation, there are other avenues to explore, such as:
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program
- Significant Benefit
- Spousal/Common-Law Sponsorship (if in a committed relationship with a Canadian citizen or permanent resident)
- Business Immigration
- Immigration to Quebec (for those interested in settling in Quebec)
Seek Expert Guidance
Moving2Canada is a valuable resource for those moving to Canada from the UK. Check their free magazine for a comprehensive guide. Consider connecting with Outpost Recruitment for job opportunities and guidance on the transition process.
Prioritising Your Mental Health
If you’re dreaming of moving to Canada, knowing it can come with some challenges is important. Don’t worry; taking care of your mental health as a newcomer is really important, and Moving2Canada offers great insights into how you can adapt to life in Canada while staying happy and healthy.
In conclusion, moving from the UK to Canada will be an exciting adventure, and with the right approach, you can make a smooth transition to a new life in this beautiful country. Explore your options, gather information, and consider seeking expert guidance to ensure a successful journey to Canadian permanent residency.